Bates Technical College wants you to be successful in your education. As such, we have resources available to assist students, from financial assistance to veterans’ services to loaned technology from the library. Additionally, there is academic assistance available including accommodations for learning disabilities and tutoring. If there are any potential barriers to your college success, please contact the appropriate department immediately.
- Microsoft Office (Free): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/office
All Bates students are eligible to receive a current version of Microsoft Word for free. Click on this link for Microsoft Office in Education, enter your BATES email address and follow the instructions.
- Campus Life & Activities
Bates has a variety of opportunities for students to enrich their educational experience while attending college. The Student Life Department collaborates with the college and community to provide support, events, and resources outside of the classroom. Student Life hosts various activities and events throughout the year and sends out a weekly Student eNews to students via their college email.
If you are interested in any of the following or have any questions about Student Life in general, please contact LeMont Lucas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Associated Student Government (ASG) https://batestech.edu/student-resources/associated-student-government/ ASG, comprised of a team of student officers, serves as the voice of Bates students. ASG officers are here to advocate for student interests and promote student welfare: assisting with New Student Orientation, holding monthly General Assembly meetings (with free pizza!) where students can vote on initiatives and participate in open forums, and working with faculty-appointed student program representatives to support students both inside and outside the classroom. For more information, contact Nat Giovengo at email@example.com.
- Phi Theta Kappa https://www.batestech.edu/phi-theta-kappa/ is an Honor Society open to Bates students who have a minimum 3.5 GPA and have completed at least 12 college-level credits at Bates. Membership in PTK provides access to PTK-only scholarships, recognition at graduation, and leadership development through conferences and trainings. For more information, contact Joseph Kauer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student-Led Clubs https://www.batestech.edu/student-clubs/ Student-Led Clubs are created by and for students who share similar interests or ideas. These interests may include culture, hobbies, sports, leisure activities or even activities related to current or future professional goals. Clubs provide students with the opportunity to learn leadership and collaboration skills, form communities on campus, and enrich their personal and professional lives. For more information, contact Caleb Rivers at email@example.com.
- The Campus Life and Activity Center https://batestech.edu/student-resources/associated-student-government/is located at the downtown campus. The Campus Life & Activities is the hub for student-centered programs and interests, with dedicated spaces for students on each of the three campuses. At Downtown, there’s a kitchenette, a lounge with a TV and ping pong table, a study area equipped with computers, and the student food pantry. At South, you’ll find a kitchenette, a lounge with TV, and an in-office VetCorp Navigator. At Central is the eSports lounge, fully equipped with gaming computers and consoles as well as an attached studio space. Whichever campus you’re on, the Campus Life staff are there to provide resources, community, and fun!
- For more information about the Esports Lounge, contact Caleb Rivers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information about supporting Veterans on campus, contact our VetCorp Navigator Alejandro Salinas at email@example.com.
- Bates Library https://www.batestech.edu/student-resources/library/
The friendly staff at Bates Library will take you beyond Google to get the information you need. Library specialists are ready to help with any question — from general college information to in-depth research. The library provides answers you can trust to get the job done, coming from a huge collection of databases, books, eBooks, videos, and learning tools. Thousands of items are available to borrow from our online catalog system, including books, equipment, and laptops.
You can request library assistance by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also click here to use the Bates Ask Your Librarian system, or click on this link to use the Librarian Chat service.
- Career and Academic Advising https://batestech.edu/student-resources/career-advising/
Whether you’re a new student or a continuing student who needs support in planning your educational pathway, your advisor will help you define and achieve your academic goals at Bates. Advisors can guide you in understanding degree or certificate requirements, placement in general education courses, and career pathways.
- Retention Specialists https://batestech.edu/student-resources/career-advising/
Retention Specialists help you identify your needs, both academic and non-academic, and connect you with appropriate on-campus and community resources to help you succeed. Each campus has a designated Student Retention Specialist to help you succeed and navigate life challenges.
- Counseling Center https://batestech.edu/student-resources/career-advising/
While some people who see a counselor have chronic emotional difficulties, most are dealing with typical life changes. Some of the reasons people seek counseling include stress, anxiety, depression, grief and loss, anger, abuse, relationship issues, handling a crisis, substance abuse, and self-esteem.
Bates is committed to supporting all students in reaching their academic and personal goals and recognizes that counseling may be helpful in the process. Sessions are provided by a Master Degree-level licensed mental health professional. Your counselor’s role is to listen without judgment, to guide and to assist with exploring available options.
Confidentiality is an important part of counseling, and your personal information will not be disclosed without a written consent signed by you. By law there are safety limitations that may warrant disclosure without consent, which will be explained during the initial intake process.
- Disability Support Services https://batestech.edu/student-resources/disabilitysupportservices/
The primary focus of the Disability Support Services (DSS) office is to assure equal access and opportunity for success for students with disabilities. DSS determines eligibility and works to implement reasonable accommodations for Bates students. We work with individuals who have physical, learning and/or mental disabilities, language barriers, and academic or economic disadvantages. Some of the populations we work with are veterans, single parents, ex-offenders, and displaced homemakers.
- Early Learning Center https://batestech.edu/student-resources/early-learning-center/
The Bates Early Learning Center is available for students with children ages 4 weeks to 5 years. We offer Early Head Start, ECEAP preschool, and Child Care options. The Center provides developmental learning opportunities, quality care for children, child education & family support services. Staff will provide resources for social/emotional support for children & health services, employment support and job skills training. Parents and guardians can access parenting support and family engagement opportunities. The center and sites provide nutritious meals following the most recent standards outlined by the Child Adult Care Food Program. Meals offer a wide variety of vegetables, fresh fruit, unprocessed meats and whole grain. Contact our Family Support desk at 253-680-7321 to obtain an application and have your child added to our waitlist.
- Foundation and Scholarships https://batestech.edu/foundation/
Need assistance funding your education? Bates Foundation scholarships can help. The Bates Foundation offers quarterly scholarships that can provide assistance with your educational expenses. If your financial aid package doesn’t cover all of your tuition, you have student loans or are a self-pay student, scholarships can help you to focus on your education by helping to relieve your financial burdens.
For more information about the scholarship process and workshops, contact Michael Cabrera at 253.680.7160 or email@example.com.
- Tutoring Services https://batestech.edu/student-resources/tutoring-services/
All current Bates students have access to eTutoring sevices, an online tutoring app providing currently enrolled students with live tutoring services on a wide variety of subjects, including Math, Intro to Engineering, MS Office, Writing and more. Tutors are available from 5am to 11:59pm, except holidays and breaks.
For initial log in, please use your ctcLink number for both username and password. Click here to access the eTutoring link: https://etutoringonline.org/
For In-Person Tutoring, visit the library to receive personalized, face-to-face assistance. Tutors will provide guidance, answer questions, and support your academic journey, ensuring that you have the tools and knowledge needed to excel in your coursework. Take advantage of this opportunity to enhance your learning experience and achieve your academic goals.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tutoring hours and locations:
Mondays 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Downtown Campus Library
Wednesdays 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., South Campus Library.
For more information about Downtown and South Campus Library tutoring, contact Betty at email@example.com.
- Veterans Center https://batestech.edu/student-resources/veterans-center/
Since 1940, Bates Technical College has been serving veterans and their dependents. We provide you with information and assistance to help you succeed. Whether you are pursuing certification, preparing for a new career, or perfecting a skill, we are dedicated to providing the support and information to help our veterans successfully transition to college. Services offered include assistance with Military Tuition Assistance and VA education and training benefits, including GI Bill. Bates also offers academic credit for military training.